If you are a parent who is thinking about getting a teething necklace for your child you are not alone. Baltic amber teething necklaces have been around for hundreds of years helping babies and toddlers with the discomfort of teething. As opposed to silicone teething jewelry, real amber jewelry is not to be chewed but rather worn. The necklace or bracelet works by releasing therapeutic succinic acid into the baby's skin which helps relieve inflammation and drooling.
Where does amber come from and how does it work?
The Baltic region has the world's largest supply of amber as well as having the highest concentration of succinic acid. Amber is an ancient resin, the older the amber the more concentrated the succinic acid. If you are not familiar with how amber teething jewelry can help ease the pain associated with teething, do not feel bad, because most people have no idea too. When amber is warmed by the skin it releases succinic acid; a natural acid found in amber, the succinic acid works as a natural anti-inflammatory.
The acid is slowly absorbed into the skin, then into the blood stream and transported by the blood throughout the body to reduce inflammation and easing the discomfort of teething.
The traditional beaded amber necklaces from the Baltic region are a less intrusive remedy for the pain and side effects of teething. A natural analgesic, amber will help calm a baby without resorting to drugs.
Is it safe to wear?
At Powell’s Owls we recommend that all amber jewelry is used under supervision. Amber necklaces are made for wearing, not for chewing! We recommend the following:
- Parents should always supervise their child when wearing the necklace or bracelet
- Remove the necklace or bracelet when their child is asleep or unattended. If you want you could put a bracelet on your child or wind the necklace around their ankle and safely cover with clothing.
- Do not allow child to chew the necklace or bracelet
How Long Does It Take For The Amber To Work?
The effects from the amber jewelry can begin working within hours. However as each child is different it can take up to 1-2 weeks for others. In addition, the bigger the body and the extent of the problem, the longer it can take to see a difference. Just like taking a food supplement, you will not feel an immediate effect.
Does Amber Jewelry Work For Adults?
Absolutely! Baltic amber can help other conditions too including:
- Helps the body heal itself therefore speeding up the recovery process
- Boosts the immune system in assisting healing with ear, throat, stomach and respiratory infections.
- Relieves headaches, sore neck, sore throat and chest congestion.
- Anti-anxiety remedy that gets rid of fatigue and weariness, improves self-confidence.
How Long Will My Amber Teething Necklaces Last?
Amber is good for roughly 2 years, depending on how it is cared for. It can become brittle and faded over time, especially if exposed to soaps and creams, perfumes, chlorine or heat.
If you have a question about amber jewelry please let us know. Our team of experts are ready to answer your questions!